Excel provides ‘AutoSum’ function which automatically adds numbers in the cells that you select and show you the total.
- Let’s say you have an excel that holds the records for different samples and their scanning time in minutes. You want to calculate total scanned times.
2. Go to Formula tab. Select ‘Sum’ from AutoSum drop down.
3. Sum function picks the range of the cells.
4. Just press Enter on the keyboard. You will see the total scanned time.
5. There is an alternate way to check the sum of the numbers in a row/column or in a selected area of a worksheet containing multiple rows & columns. In this process first select the cells containing numbers for which you need the sum and then right click on the status bar of the excel workbook.
6. Then Select Sum. You can see the sum is displayed in the status bar as in the following example we found the sum of the Medal counts in column B for all students.
7. In this approach, once you select the Sum in status bar option, from next time onwards, even after closing and reopening the excel file, you only need to select the row column range from which you have to find the Sum of the numbers in the status bar.