Let’s say we have the below dataset in the table. It contains the number of sales of the keyboard in 4 consecutive years in 2 metro cities in India.
Now to create the line chart based on the above table please follow the below steps.
- Select the entire table(A1:C5)
- Click the insert tab in menu bar
- In the Chart group, click the ‘Insert Line or Area Chart’ icon
4. Select the chart style as ‘Line’ Under 2-D Line.
5. The chart will look like below. The X-axis which is the horizontal axis shows the year and the Y-axis which is the vertical axis shows the sale count. You can edit the Chart Title on top of the chart as we edited the chart title as “Line Chart”. In this example, the line chart in Excel is useful to show the comparison of the trend in change of sale count over the years in 2 cities.
6. The color codes for Kolkata and Delhi sale count variations are mentioned just below the line chart. If you change the order of the columns, the order of plotting colors in the Line chart will also change(see below).
7. You can create the line chart with Markers by selecting the chart style as ‘Line with Markers’ Under 2-D Line.
8. The Line chart with markers will look like below.
- We must NOT provide any column header for the leftmost column of the table which we need to display as X-axis in the line chart.
- Click here to check the 3D version of Line Chart.