Let’s say we have the below dataset in the table. It contains the number of newborn in 10 years for different kinds of animals in a Zoo.
Now to create the data Series first we need to create a Clustered Column Chart based on the above table with the below steps.
- Select the entire table(A2:G13)
- Click the insert tab in menu bar
- In the Chart group, click the ‘Insert Column or Bar Chart’ icon
4. Select the chart style as ‘Clustered Column’ Under 2-D Column.
5. The chart will look like below. The X-axis which is the horizontal axis shows the year and the Y-axis which is the vertical axis shows the newborn count for different kinds of animal. The Legends(Colour Codes) for different animals has been displayed just below the Clustered Column chart. Please note, there should not be any column header for the leftmost column(which is Year here) of the table which we need to display as X-axis in the Clustered Column chart.
6. Now right click on the chart and then click Select Data.
7. In the dialogue box the Animal names which are the Y-axis in the above clustered column chart are in the left and the Years which are the X-axis in the chart are in the right side.
8. Now click on ‘Switch Row/Column’. This will switch the positions of Animal names and Years in the dialogue box. So now the Animal names will be X-axis and the Years will be Y-axis. Click OK.
9. Here is the Data Series formed as below. You can exclude/include any specific set of years or animals from the above Select Data Source Dialogue box. We edited our chart title as ‘Data Series’.