Let’s say we have the below dataset in the table. It contains the price of the keyboard in 4 consecutive years in 2 metro cities in India.
Now to create the area chart based on the above table please follow the below steps.
- Select the entire table(A1:C5)
- Click the insert tab in menu bar
- In the Chart group, click the ‘Insert Line or Area Chart’ icon
4. Select the chart style as ‘Area’ Under 2-D Area.
5. The Area Chart will look like below. The X-axis which is the horizontal axis shows the year and the Y-axis which is the vertical axis shows the Prices. In this example, the area chart in Excel is useful to show the comparison of the trend in change of price over the years in 2 cities.
6. The color codes for Kolkata and Delhi keyboard price variations are mentioned just below the Area Chart. If you change the order of the columns, the order of plotting colors in the Area Chart will also change(See below). You can edit the chart title like we did here as ‘Area Chart’.
- We must NOT provide any column header for the leftmost column of the table which we need to display as X-axis in the area chart.
- Click here to check the 3D form of Area Chart.