Let’s say we have the below table containing certain number of students and their rank in a University entrance exam.
Now to check the count of the students, please follow the below process.
- Select all data in the Student’s name column of the table(Don’t select the column header else that will also be considered in count)
- Right click on the status bar
- Select Count
- As you can see the count of students is displayed in the status bar.
- Let’s say we need the count of ranks as well. Select the rank column except the column header. And see the count of ranks in the status bar. Note here even the count of students is 17 but the count of ranks is 12 because there are 12 non blank cells in the rank column. The count only counts the cells having any value.
- This way we can get the count of the non blank cells in a row or in a column or in a selected area of a worksheet containing multiple rows & columns.
- The cells containing any kind of data like digits, texts,special characters etc. are valid for this process.
- Once you select the count in status bar option, from next time onwards, even after closing and reopening the excel file, you only need to select the row column range from which you have to find the count of the non blank cells in the status bar.
Selected status bar option is applicable for the entire excel file means in all worksheets the count will be displayed in the status bar upon selection of the cells containing data.