In both Excel & Google Sheet we can use RAND() function to generate the random number. Like here in cell A2 we have used RAND() function.
You can create the list of random numbers by dragging or copy paste the formula as follows.
RAND is a volatile function. This means that the result of this function keeps on changing based on the recalculation settings specified for the Google Sheet. In Google Sheet you can specify the Re-Calculation setting for this function with the below process.
- Go to File Menu
- Click Spreadsheet Settings
- Now in the Spreadsheet Settings pane go to Calculation. There you will find the available options to select how often you want the function to recalculate in this spreadsheet. Select the appropriate one as needed from On Change/On Change and every minute/ On change and every hour.
- Then click Save Settings.
- The generated random number is always greater than or equal to 0 and less than 1.
- There can be duplicate random numbers generated while using the RAND() function for multiple cells.